Legal Stuff

Don’t worry, legal stuff is a necessary part of getting married, but its easy. You can leave it to me!

Here is what you will need.

As per the Marriage Act 1961:

  • Notice of Intended Marriage Form (NOIM) must be lodged with your marriage celebrant. This notice can be lodged up to 18 months before a marriage date but no later than one month before that date.
  • Couples must provide evidence of:
    • Date and Place of Birth
    • Identity
    • End of any previous marriage (if relevant)
  • Original documents required to be sighted include:
    • Birth Certificate or official extract of an entry in an official Register
    • Photo I.D. (I.e. Drivers Licence, proof of age/photo card)
    • A valid Australian Passport
    • A valid/current Passport (if you were born overseas)
  • Proof that a marriage is no longer valid
    • Divorce Certificate (Decree Absolute)
    • Nullity Papers
    • Death Certificate (if widowed)
  • Any required Statutory Declarations declaring your legitimacy to be married under Australian Law.
  • If any certificates/documents are not written in English they must be translated by a Registered Translator (NAATI) The National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters Ltd
  • You are not legally allowed to marry if both parties are under the age of 18. If one party is over 18 you can apply for a court order.

See? Easy! Now what are you waiting for?

Scroll to Top